I'm extremely rough on my brushes and I can't relax into work if I'm nervous about roughing up an expensive brush. These meet my three criteria:
- Synthetic bristles that stay in place for at least a month of beatings.
- Versatile to handle watercolor and acrylic paint.
- Cheap, so I can buy a dozen, use them till their death do us part, then easily replace.
A few items I never compromise on are watercolor paper and paints, but I make up for these in other areas, like brushes. I recommend these to anyone regardless of their skill level.
- Con: handles are definately long enough to nearly poke your eye out.
- Pro: if someone breaks into your studio and tries to assault you, you can stab their eye out.